Change Com at Intersolar Europe – The world’s leading conference and exhibition for the solar industry in Munich June 17-19, 2020
The energy market is in a rapid development, in particular for solar energy. Some key takeaways from the conference:
• The cost for solar electricity has dropped dramatically over several years. Already in 2015/2016 solar (and wind) became cheaper than both nuclear, coal and gas generated electricity in USA.
• In Europe several countries have a strong political push for more solar energy. In particular in Germany both the politicians and the industry are pushing hard and moving very fast in the right direction.
• Huge solar powerplants are being built, with a size that was technical impossible just a couple of years ago. One main challenge now is storage of power during nighttime for these huge plants. Hybrid solutions with solar/wind/diesel or hydroelectric has become a winning solution.
• Minigrid systems have become much cheaper and has started becoming the natural choice for small villages.
• The rapid development has also changed the view for how the grid should be designed in the future. The trend is moving towards small powerplants close to the customers and a reduced need for a country wide grid system.